Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2012 13:47:01 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for Raspberry-PI

Am 04.06.2012 14:36, schrieb Stefan Esser:
> Am 04.06.2012 03:01, schrieb Ron McDowell:
>> On 6/3/12 6:29 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

>>> Very cool! Let us know when you have something you want us to test :)
>> Newark claims mine will ship on 28 June, so I too will be watching the
>> queue for news and updates.
>
> I pre-ordered mine from Farnell on April 11th, received
> an invitation to actually place the order on May 18, and
> now I'm awaiting the delivery (within 3 weeks, one more
> week to wait ...).

My RasPi arrived and I gave it a try with the Debian 6 distribution
suggested in the downloads page on raspberrypi.org.

Observations:

I ordered mine from RS components together with a power supply.

The RasPi boots from SD (a slower 16GB Micro-SD card) within
some 20 seconds (to the Linux single user login prompt).

Switching to run-level 5 takes some 45 seconds (the X server
starts within a few seconds, but there must be quite a lot of
activity going ...

Logging in on GDM takes only a few seconds (maybe 10) to get
an Openbox LXDE desktop up and taking commands.

The X11 server uses the uncommon geometry of 1824x1104 on my
1920x1200 screen (connected via HDMI).

Now for the "bad" parts:

As soon as I connect a wireless mouse dongle (whether M$ or
Logitech does not matter), messages about USB device resets
are logged every other second (for the USB device number
corresponding to the mouse adapter).

I also had lots of error messages:

smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: Failed to read register index 0x00000114
smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: Failed to write register index 0x00000114

but cannot reproduce this message today. A Google search gives
many hits, these problems do not appear to be uncommon.

I've read the opinion, that the USB problems are caused by
instable 5V power, but given the rating of my power supply,
this should not be the case.

Another common problem seems to be caused by active USB hubs
that feed current into the Raspberry PI's USB port.

This seems to affect my configuration too: As soon as I connect
an active hub, Ethernet traffic stops (the Ethernet chip is
internally connected to an USB hub).

The Linux drivers are not yet finished, e.g. the sound driver
always stops playing after a few seconds.

All in all it still is an impressive little device and I hope
to find some time to study its internals over the next few
weeks.

Has any progress been made with regard to leveraging the existing
Linux boot support for FreeBSD?

Regards, STefan