Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:41:14 -0500
From:      "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@yahoo.com>
To:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache: Can't access any page from remote PC

Christopher Schulte wrote:

> At 11:25 PM 3/29/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >I have a dynamic IP and I'm running dns2go for that reason and I've been
> >trying to configure apache and I still can't access anything from a
> >remote pc, it times out all the time but I know apache is working
> >because if I type my hostname in netscape I get the apache index.html.en
> >page.  Now I edited my hosts file to this:
>
> [snip]
>
> >Listen 127.0.0.2:80
> >#Listen 216.82.145.240:80
> >I'm confused about the Listen configuration, if I have a dynamic IP what
> >should I put there?
> >so far everytime I put something in there apache won't start!  And by
> >the way I can ping my hostname from any remote machine so I know the
> >dns2go thing is working also.
> >Any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks.
>
> from http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#listen
>
> --
> Syntax: Listen [IP-address:]port
> If the first format is used, with a port number only, the server listens to
> the given port on all interfaces, instead of the port given by the Port
> directive. If an IP address is given as well as a port, the server will
> listen on the given port and interface.
> --
>
> Thus, you want to use
>
> Listen 80
>
> To tell apache to listen on all interfaces.
>
> Verify that apache is up and listening by using sockstat, `sockstat -l |
> grep httpd`
>
> Then telnet to your external IP address, port 80
>
> # telnet external.ip.add.ress 80
> Trying external.ip.add.ress...
> Connected to foo.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET /
> <head>
> ..
> ..
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Next telnet to the machine from a remote host.  If you get connection
> refused or the network connection hangs, your
> provider may be filtering port 80.  Try another port with apache, such as
> 8080 to verify.
>
> If you still have problems, a lot of apache wizards hang out in
> comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix.
>
> --
> Christopher Schulte
> http://www.schulte.org/
> Do not un-munge my @nospam.schulte.org
> email address.  This address is valid.

You were right, port 80 was being blocked by my ISP, I tested it using
portdetective (www.portdetective.com), it's a windows utility though and it
came up that port 80 was blocked, called up my ISP and he gave me another
number to a different ISP wholesaler and that port was free and it worked.  It
really amazed me how fast the page loads just with 56K connection.  Thanks for
everything.