Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:03:30 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Re: Somewhat OT: Is Full Command Logging Possible?

On Dec 18, 2012, at 5:43 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

> On 12/18/2012 07:33 PM, Devin Teske wrote:
>>=20
>> On Dec 18, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>>=20
>=20
>>>=20
>>> One further question, if I may.  If I do this:
>>>=20
>>>   sudo su -
>>>=20
>>> Will log_input record everything I do once I've been promoted to
>>> root?  I ask because my initial experiments seem to show that all
>>> that's getting recorded is the content of the sudo command itself,
>>> not the subsequent actions=85
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Correct, sudo is blind to the actions performed once the command request=
ed is executed (in this case, "su" and subsequently a shell followed by mor=
e actions).
>>=20
>=20
> Actually, I just tried this with both log_input and log_output options en=
abled.
> It seems that it *can* see into the promoted shell with a few caveats:
>=20
>  - Command output is logged immediately, but command inputs appear to only
>    be written to the log when you exit the promoted shell.  This may be
>    not quite right - there may have not been enough input to cause a
>    write flush to the log.
>=20
>  - The logging seems to be able to see into a spawned subshell, but
>    I don't think it can see input/output if you, say, kick off an xterm.
>=20

What about if you do "sudo vim" and then type ":sh" ?
--=20
Devin

>=20
>> I've suggested the lrexec module for catching everything, or you can loo=
k into the auditdistd (distributed auditing collection/collation to a remot=
e/central server) approach, the praudit approach, or any of the other piece=
s of software mentions.
>>=20

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.