Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2013 20:59:44 -0800
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.0 ppc64 - Wrong Sensor Values - G5 Quad late 2005

On 12/28/2012 10:23, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> On 28.12.12 15:54, Mages Simon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i bought a PowerMac G5 Quad to run FreeBSD on it :)
>>
>> but now i have my first Problem.
>>
>> The CPU is at 40 °C in idle and under load it goes up in ~5 °C step's
>> but when it should reach 60 °C it jumps up to 1000+ °C and FreeBSD shut
>> the Box down.
>>
>> With this Problem i can't even install FreeBSD ...
> Would you mind trying an image from here:
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/powerpc/powerpc64/ISO-IMAGES/9.1/
>
> There were some improvements on 9.1 and it would be great to make sure
> that they are in 9.1. If not, we can start bisect.
>
> I run a Quad on 10.0 and have not much problems so far.
>
> Andreas
I saw incorrect values booting from either 9.0 or 9.1 to install CURRENT.

Specifically, some values for the fans or other sensors were very large
numbers.

I quickly updated, so unfortunately I did not document my findings...I
stupidly assumed it was known :)

Temperature was OK though, I'm quite sure the cooling system on mine is
functioning properly though.
One known issue with these is (depending on the pumps involved) one or
more heatblocks clogged, or too little fluid to run the entire system
(so one CPU is 100C +, the other is at 50C).
Often this can be identified by gurgling or pump sounds during startup.
Do run ASD just to rule out some other issue.

It is no longer a problem in CURRENT, so it's fixed now, whatever it was.

Matt