Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 19:37:50 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing support in FreeBSD for large file sizes?

David Xu wrote:
> Hello sthaug,
>
> Tuesday, March 06, 2001, 1:24:24 AM, you wrote:
>
> snn> According to the "Maxtor picks Windows, dumps open source" article at
>
> snn>         http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5009496.html?tag=lh
>
> snn> FreeBSD "did not support large file sizes, Macintosh and newer Novell
> snn> file systems, or backup and management software from companies such as
> snn> OpenView, Tivoli and Microsoft".
>
> snn> Now I can understand what they say about missing Tivoli support - we're
> snn> using Tivoli backup here ourselves, and the SCO ADSM/TSM client that we
> snn> currently use to backup FreeBSD is passable, but nothing more. A native
> snn> FreeBSD client would be much preferable.
>
> snn> What I can't understand is the reference to missing support for large
> snn> file sizes - as far as I know, that's one of FreeBSD's strengths! Anybod
> snn> care to guess what they mean here?
>
> snn> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug@nethelp.no

> snn> with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
>
> this is a stupid decision, let they go. AFAIK, Windows 2000 does not
> support dump file system to tape or other medias. I was a Windows NT
> system manager, I know I don't believe all backup softwares for Windows
> NT, simply because Windows NT system can not be fully backuped.
> FreeBSD can do, it's strength of Unix File System.

There is a lot more to it than technical merit.  Also consider the
strings that M$ is pulling over the X-box.  If Maxtor wanted to get
Maxtor or Quantum drives in it, you can bet that Microsoft demanded
concessions...

You could pretty safely bet your last dollar that this was a management
decision, not a technical one.

Cheers,
-Peter