Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2014 23:40:00 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Joe Holden <lists@rewt.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More trapframe panics
References:  <52E42A1B.3040907@rewt.org.uk> <CACVs6=--Qy_8poWdHdCXYKqkO22=dvHhW8=Uma8kLR%2BhCoZDxw@mail.gmail.com> <52E524BD.7090106@rlwinm.de> <CACVs6=-_N8aPEeFT5P8aTr1hkpmBWGwCt930wsGzg4YHxr8VKg@mail.gmail.com> <453F8F8F-41E5-4640-9683-5A8553AB0822@bsdimp.com> <CACVs6=-V4jZeTUd_ncWUDKx3a6RX773nkqbqtDaQOvoX9edoLg@mail.gmail.com> <B20276B8-9753-4CA9-8DD5-060EB43F7823@bsdimp.com> <52E5C925.40707@rewt.org.uk>

There are some ports that just trigger it built single threaded and only =
that port, which is why I was looking for a quick and dirty hack...   I =
fear that Juli is right, though, and a real fix is needed....

Warner

On Jan 26, 2014, at 7:49 PM, Joe Holden wrote:

> If one doesn't try to compile multiple ports at once, it seems to =
behave.. although I'm having trouble stess testing it at the moment =
since national grid seem to think supplying 0-270V to my house is =
acceptable (some fault or something) :P
>=20
> On 27/01/2014 01:06, Warner Losh wrote:
>> Yea, I'm aware of the issues. I was hoping for a quick patch to make =
my Cavium machines better since I know this is an optional feature of =
the R4k spec. At the time I had my head wrapped around this, it seemed =
like a faster path, but there were snags in non-uniform page sizes and =
alias avoidance that make make this untenable anyway...
>>=20
>> Warner
>>=20
>> On Jan 26, 2014, at 4:30 PM, Juli Mallett wrote:
>>=20
>>> Robert Watson and someone else (IIRC) discouraged going this route =
as some CPUs do not actually support every PageMask value specified for =
the R4K, so it would turn into an implementation/maintenance nightmare.  =
Being able to fill an arbitrary number of TLB entries with kernel stack =
seems just better, anyway, for, I dunno, the person who wants to run =
Python in the kernel or something :)
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> =
wrote:
>>>=20
>>> On Jan 26, 2014, at 9:04 AM, Juli Mallett wrote:
>>>=20
Unlike
>>>=20
>>> I hacked together a kludge that quadrupled this by going to the next =
larger page size for stack pages in the TLB, but hit something ugly when =
I did that... But I've lost that code, so maybe I should try again to =
see if I'm more clever the second time.