Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2014 20:19:09 -0500
From:      Dutch Ingraham <stoa@gmx.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireshark Seg. Fault

On 12/13/14 19:46, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been having problems with connecting to svn mirrors lately.  I
> tried using tcpdump to diagnose, but it was unavailing.  So, I tried
> installing the port for wireshark.  On first start, it core dumped.
> After confirming all shared libs were in place, I decided to just delete
> it and re-build, which went off again without noted error.  Same thing:
> core dump.
>
> I then went to a separate machine and installed the package.  Upon first
> attempt to run: again, seg fault and core dump.
>
> Ports machine:10.1-RELEASE #0 r274401: Tue Nov 11 21:02:49 UTC 2014
> Packages machine: 10.1-RELEASE #0 r274401: Tue Nov 11 21:02:49 UTC 2014
>
> I've googled around without finding anything recent or close to this
> issue, Freebsd or otherwise.  Bug tracker doesn't have anything recent
> except a submitted patch for running wireshark as a regular user (which
> I hope is acted upon, as this should be the default anyway.)  UPDATING
> doesn't mention any issues with wireshark.
>
> Unfortunately, my gdb skills are zero.  If anyone would like to offer
> hints as to tracking the problem, or offering some debugging tips, I'd
> be grateful. If further information is needed, please let me know. Thanks.

Further Information:

Keeping in mind that I know nothing about how to use gdb, I ran

<gdb wireshark wireshark.core> and the last three lines were:

Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#0  0x000000080945ec0b in g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a ()
from /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
[New Thread 810006400 (LWP 100240/wireshark)]

Both ld-elf.so.1 and libgobject.so.1 are present.

I hope this is helpful to someone, but I don't know how to interpret it.