Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 2015 00:40:28 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: poudriere-3.1.4 options not working as expected

Bryan Drewery wrote on 04/29/2015 00:10:
[...]

> I answered questions below but I think your approach is wrong. Just make
> 1 set / repository and use meta packages. See my blog
> http://blog.shatow.net/posts/2013-07-21-managing-role-based-freebsd-servers-with-meta-packages-and-poudriere/
>
> You would make a local/projectA meta package, local/projectB meta
> package, etc. Your bulk list would only have the top-level meta-packages.
>
> The one downside is that this would be 1 set with the same options.

Good point, maybe I will go this way.

> [...]
>>
>> So why poudriere options did ask me for cyrus-sasl option if it is not
>> needed and not built?
>

> The 'options' subcommand just calls 'make config-conditional' on the
> port and then 'make config-recursive' on it again so that this issue
> doesn't happen. Perhaps these commands are broken in the ports framework.

Yes, I did saw something similar in the past with portmaster's build /
configuring options. So it can be broken in the ports framework.

[...]

>> After reading the docs on
>> https://fossil.etoilebsd.net/poudriere/doc/trunk/doc/poudriere.8.wiki#x437573746f6d206275696c64206f7074696f6e73
>>

> That site is not updated anymore. The current documentation is
> https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/wiki/poudriere.8

Thank you, I didn't know it.

>> I expected poudriere to combine options from both directories together.
>
> No, it won't do that. Each options dir is a specific set. It will never
> build _a set_ using _multiple sets_ configs and options. It will only
> use files from _that 1 set_.
>
> There is no sane way for Poudriere to do what you want. The 2 options
> dirs could easily conflict with each other. I recommend against trying
> to make this work and just making a new set.

OK

>> Is it possible to use some kind of union mount / unionfs to overlay all
>> found directories according to CUSTOMISATION order?
>>
>> And in the meantime - is it possible to use multiple -f for "poudriere
>> options" command?
>
> Yes, but again only 1 set will be used. So you have to make a '-z
> combined_set' and run options against that set.

OK, I will make a first set as before, copy all options subdirectories
to the second set directory and then run "poudrier options" for this new
bigger set containing merged ports lists so I will change only options
for additional new ports.

Thank you for your quick response!

Miroslav Lachman