Date:      15 Jun 1999 11:56:16 -0400
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   486 speed (was: Still can't get ethernet cards going)

Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at> writes:

> 	[ML]  As I have been subsequently informed, ne2k does not use
> iomem (I had them confused with SMC Elite Ultras which do, and use the
> same driver, too.)

Hi! Thanks for following up on this -- it's awfully nice of you.

Actually, I got the cards working now. It took assigning different
IRQ's (they had 3 & 5, and I changed them to 10 and 11; apparently
COM1 was using 3, and maybe smth else was using 5), and disabling all
firewall options in the kernel.

> 	[ML]  4 hour compilation is obscene--are you sure that the turbo
> is not disabled?  My 486dx33 compiles the kernel, including make depend
> under 1 hour (45 minutes is more like it).  Do you have any L2 cache on
> the machine (IIRC, turbo switch disables L2 cache for the 486).

Hmmm. Makes me wonder... You know, I inherited the motherboard + CPU
from somebody else, and I don't have any documentation to it. The
onboard pins to connect the turbo switch or even internal speaker are
not marked -- so I have no clue at what frequency the processor is
running (it doesn't report at the boot-up either). I ran old Norton
diagnostics on it from a floppy, and it reported CPU running at
102MHz, which impressed me immensely. When FreeBSD boots is says:

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
CPU: i486 DX4 (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x480  Stepping=0
  Features=0x3<FPU,VME>
real memory  = 16777216 (16384K bytes)
avail memory = 14573568 (14232K bytes)

Does this mean that it thinks the CPU runs at 1MHz? That could explain
4 hour compilation (actually, that would be pretty fast for a 1MHz
computer) ;^).

--
Arcady Genkin
"... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate