Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:34:00 +0000
From:      Andrew Duane <aduane@juniper.net>
To:        Don whY <Don.whY@gmx.com>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: format/newfs larger external consumer drives

FSCK has 5 passes, each of which checks a different "thing" in the filesyst=
em. Each pass will depend on how many of those "things" there are to check.=
 One checks inodes and cylinder groups, one checks all blocks, one checks a=
ll directory and file entries, and so on. So fewer inodes will help, but mo=
re files eat up the savings, etc. Some experiments can tell you how long it=
 takes to check each and what the savings would be.

Also remember that each inode takes 128 bytes on disk. So a billion unused =
inodes wastes a 128 GB on the disk.

"