Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2016 21:29:13 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Carsten Larsen <cs@innolan.dk>
Cc:        Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>, Mathieu Prevot <mathieu.prevot@gmail.com>, romain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Mono/.Net ports team?

Awesome guys, it sounds like everyone is on the same page.

I have transposed a snippet from Romain into this thread:

> If it can help, I have been running MonoDevelop on top of GitHub master
> branch with no patch for some times.  It currently does not build on my
> machine (errors related to FSharp, FSharp failing ot build with Mono
> 4.4, so maybe everything is linked).
>
> The configure script / makefile takes care of these submodules, so
> updating MonoDevelop when I used this was really as simple as `git pull
> && gmake && gmake run`

Interesting, that may be the slant I was missing. I couldn't get the
submodules in the external folder to load, perhaps the trick was to
call the configure file from the ports makefile target.  I was
attempting to use the the port variables in example 5.4 here:

 https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-distfiles.html#makefile-master_sites-github-ex2

Arron, section 5.4.3 is the info you will need to convert the ports
Makefile over to github.

Thanks, Romain, your input is greatly appreciated.  I will attempt to
build from head again and perhaps the Rosyln tag. I'll clean my notes
up and email them tonight.

Russ