Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 2020 10:41:50 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?B?SsOBS8OTIEFuZHLDoXM=?= <jako.andras@eik.bme.hu>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com>, freebsd-jail <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12.1, vnet jail, and internet access

> > > I was under the impression that the two stacks were separate?
> >
> > They are. But I don't think your ISP knows anything about your private
> > subnet, so they won't send IP packets with your private destination
> > address to you. And most probably they won't accept IP packets with your
> > private source address from you. So you have to translate these private
> > addresses if you want your ISP (and others) to forward them.
> >
> > > Should I nat on the bridge or epair?
> >
> > On the bridge, I guess.
> >

> Have 2 questions.
>
> If there were no ip addresses on the bridge and the epair0b in the vnet jail
> would packets pass out the bridge member external interface?

It's a 802.1 bridge, it can pass frames to the external interface
(according to its MAC address table).

> How would I setup a public domain name to target the vnet jail?

A public domain name should point to a public IP address. If your jail's
IP address is a private one, and you do NAT, then use your public IP
address (the one that is translated to the jail's private address). If
you have a public address in the jail and you don't use address
translation, then use the jail's public IP address in the DNS.

AndrĂ¡s