Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:53:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM vs FTP Layout (Was: Intel Endeavor install problems (639K != 640K -> SIG 11))

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Doug White wrote in message ID
> <Pine.BSF.3.91.960412115019.17713Q-100000@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>:
> > Now HOW IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CDROM LAYOUT SO WE CAN BUG THE HECK OUT OF
> > HIM TO FIX THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL?  [intentional all caps]
>
> Jordan, but the thing is that sysinstall (at least when I worked on
> it, back in 2.0.5) worked no matter if it was a CDROM used over FTP or
> NFS, as it tried to go into the dists dir and recorded the fact that
> it didn't exist (if necessary) for later use... It looks like Jordan
> took this functionality out somewhere, possibly in trying to make ftp
> install more robust (which is a never ending problem :( )

I personally prefer to be able to mount the CD and install via FTP, NFS,
et al.  If anything, rearrange ftp.freebsd.org.  The CD MUST work; not
all of us have access to a CD-equipped Unix box and can build lndir trees
to move the appropriate files around, like using a MS-DOG box with novell
ftdp, or OS/2.  :(