Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:11:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

> >I just did this on a laptop that happens to be here on a visit.
> >only special thing here is that the laptop runs soft-updates...
> >
> >ALT-F2
> >	mount phk:/usr/src /usr/src
> >	cd /usr/src ; make world
> >ALT-F1
> >	cd /usr/src ; dd if=/dev/zero bs=32k of=foo
> >
> >and it hangs solid :-(
> >
> >I'll ponder the packet trace for a moment and see if I can
> >figure something out.  The laptop is stoned and I can't get
> >it into DDB :-(
>
> I hate this kind of problem, I ran over the packet trace,
> which btw was made on the NFS server.
>
> At end of the crash the client (the laptop) has five outstanding
> write requests which hasn't been answered or retransmitted, one
> of which is the very first one.
>
> Interestingly, the client issues a "commit" on the request it
> still has outstanding about 1.4 second after it was sent, and
> the commit is acked...
>
> Now, running with "nfsiod -n 8" I can't seem to provoke the
> hang, but dd will die saying that it wrote 641433600 bytes,
> (3132 x 200k), but the file on my disk is only 5128192 bytes
> (25*200k)
>
> Man I wish I had time to look into this problem :-(
>
> But it seems that raising the number of nfsiods may be a
> workaround and lowering it will probably make the problem
> even worse.
>
> No panics though...
>
> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
> phk@FreeBSD.ORG               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
> "Drink MONO-tonic, it goes down but it will NEVER come back up!"

I actually got better stability with no nfsiods. :)

But, having like 16 running seems to help. (although nothing other than the
first one ever gets over 0:00 run time)

I usually get a panic message, "nfsbioread", "bwrite: bufffer is not
busy???", or just a lockup.

For me, cp /var/crash/vmcore.0 /home/toasty/crash (with /home being mounted)
will usually cause a total lockup or instant reboot. (This is over 100 base
T), If I force it to go through 10 base T, it will usually behave more. :)

In any case, I've made no progress figuring it out myself. :)

Kevin