Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:19:05 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Oleg Derevenetz <oleg@oleg.sani-c.vrn.ru>
Subject:   Re: mmap bug

>Looks like Oleg made a mistake in posting the code. I saw an earlier version
>of this in freebsd-questions and followed up with him.
>
>I've appended the version I think he meant to include.
>
>He's reporting this behavior with 3.2R. Runs fine with 'mmap -u', appears to
>hang the machine on the second iteration (file "1") with 'mmap'.
>
>Runs fine on Solaris 2.6 and Digital Unix 4.0D  -- with the exception of
>filling the disk without "-u" :^).
>
>He's trying to ask if this is a problem with the code in question or 3.2R's
>mmap.

   That's better. It appears to be a classic resource related deadlock that
is caused by the VFS code needing pages in order to page things out (and thus
free up pages), but is unable to since no memory is available.
   Matt Dillon was working on deadlocks like this in -current awhile back and
it would be interesting to know if the hang occurs there as well. I don't
have a -current machine at the moment so I can't test it myself.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com