Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 2020 18:57:59 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Probe1:ata1:... keeps resetting/timing out on 12.R install attempt

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:41:28 -0700 bsd-lists@BSDforge=2Ecom said

> OK I've got a Dual Proc G4/800Mhz (model 7450) I've been trying desperate=
ly
> to get FreeBSD on, since releng/9=2E But not any success=2E I just spun up
> the 12=2ER install media -- both disc1 && DVD1=2E But it bails on the ATA
> DVD/RW I'm booting from=2E Always with
> probe1:ata1:0:1:0): CAM status: command timeout
> resets && retries=2E=2E=2E
> Interestingly; OpenBSD && NetBSD don't do that, and will land at the
> option to install, upgrade, drop to shell=2E
>=20
> Any thoughts/suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated=2E
OK That was annoying -- but telling!
I just spun up a 3yr old copy of Ubuntu Xenial, and the install went
exactly as it should have=2E
*So* what I've discovered;
Based on the FreeBSD experience (ATA/DVD timeout) and the OpenBSD6
install, which didn't experience that kind of difficulty, and in fact
proceeded to the install=2E But as soon as it setup the DHCP connection,
and proceeded to the next step; it Hung/Froze=2E
To me; it smells suspiciously like a timing related issue in the BSD's=2E
I see just today that Justin Hibbits (sp) is working on something that
looks related to this=2E But I fear the "low hanging fruit" he indicates
he's working on won't touch my old DP800=2E :-(

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

--Chris