Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2022 16:14:50 +0000 (UTC)
From:      doug <doug@safeport.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running FreeBSD on an iMac - solved - well sorta

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022, doug@safeport.com wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022, Doug Denault wrote:

>>> 11.x

>>> 11

>>> http://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/ISO-IMAGES/
>>
>> Thank you
>
> I really appreciated the feed back. It turned out what I needed was a 700MB
> cd. That does not match the media that the 9.2 image was written on but using
> cdrecord from cdrtools version 2022.09.18 (the current version from pkg)
> worked fine using the bootonly image. Now onto Xorg. Should be easy right :)

I did install 12.3, Xorg (zero issues), xfce and firefox. All that works
perfectly except cut and paste. It turns out there is a community of
people doing what I am trying to do. These are great systems even if Apple
will no longer update them. There is even a FreeBSD wiki. It turns out that
there seems to be a way to install FreeBSD as the native OS without
completely wiping the disk as I did.

I am not sure why cut and paste seems to depend on the BIOS which is really
gone. The Apple method of booting to the BIOS does not work so I assume
some part of it (the BIOS) are physically on the hard drive.

I have tried the native xfce clipboard app and an X11 based app getting
neither to work. Again this is me begging for ideas. My neighbor found his
installation CD so I can put OS/X back and do this the "right" to see what
happens. But if there is a way to cut and paste I have no need to do this.