Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:51:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/security/pidentd/patches patch-ak patch-al

Whether or not this fixes his problem, I cannot say for certain. I do know
that it does fix MANY race conditions in identd, and as such is good
preventative measure. not to mention, it is "the right way" to do things,
as opposed to groping around in kvm. Just ask people what the right way
to import/export data from the kernel is.Who's going to reply that
"accessing /dev/mem" is the way to go? If you want to try to reproduce his
problem, you need to be running the same things anyway. As such, my
earlier commit to pidentd would have made the window for race conditions much
MUCH smaller, so you would have a much tougher time trying to expose the
bug he found in -CURRENT with my change enabled (was patch-aj.) If
you want to run using pidentd the old way, don't let patack-a[kl] get
patched in. It's been working that way for weeks (pidentd using the
newer behavior), just not using sysctls up toill now.

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/