Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2013 13:49:24 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Olivier_Cochard=2DLabb=E9?= <olivier@cochard.me>
To:        Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
Subject:   Re: ZFS/RAIDZ and SAMBA: abyssimal performance

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd> wrote:

> Well perhaps the code to handle auto tuning isn't present in the driver i=
tself.

> I'm not a huge fan of the idea, I believe it would be rather taxing to im=
plement all the exceptions and that some could easily be overlooked.

> I believe it's better to have a more user-friendly documentation and let =
users tune the hardware to suit their needs.

And why not to provide a "simple" shell script that:
1. Collect the detected hardware device list
2. Collect the sysctl value
3. Popose all tunning tips regarding the detected hardware (including
RAM/number of CPU/etc=85) and the sysctl value

This will kept default conservative value and guide the user to tune
by itself its system.

Regards,

Olivier