Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@tcsi.com>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        pst@shockwave.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: socks support native in freebsd?

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:

| > I know I'm the "let's not bloat things out" guy,  but I want to get some
| > feedback on this idea.  It seems like a big gain.
| >
| > I'd like to bring socks4 (and later socks5) into the FreeBSD source tree
| > directly.  The reason for doing so is that minor modifications to our
| > utilities, such as telnet, ftp, et al need to be performed.  I figure it
| > would be more useful to the user community if we just make these changes
| > /and/ ship our default binaries with socks support included.
|
| YES!

NO NO NO NO!

We cannot do this for socks5 and we don't really need to anymore
(thanks John P. for helping with getting LD_PRELOAD into ld.so which
was brought into -current over the weekend and I wouldn't mind seeing
it in -stable as I have been running the same code in -current and
2.1R environment).

First legally we cannot re-distribute socks5 in source or binary
form because of NEC's policy on it.  I have been working with Dave Blob,
the author of socks5 and have made a port to FreeBSD (however there is one
tiny little bug that I haven't updated in the my port that I submitted
to FreeBSD), I have had my patches rolled into the socks5 distribution
(thanks Dave).  FreeBSD is also listed as supported on the Socks5 web
page (http://www.socks.nec.com/socks5.html).

Second, you don't need to rebuild a binary to socks'ify if it uses
shared libs.  Dave, designed a intercepting library that can be
"preloaded" before all other shared libs and then it will do the socks
magic.  To set the environment you run this wrapper script with the
bin you want socks'ified for example:
	runsocks ftp
	runsocks emacs (yes emacs is now socks'fied)
	runsocks make (in a port directory and now it fetches the dist file
		       via socks!  Also this is were the bug is since
		       libsocks5_sh.so was built with -lcompat so sed
		       broke)
It should also work if you just set LD_PRELOAD to the special
socks lib in you .login and then everything would be socks'ified.
So this means we don't need to modify our base telnet, ftp etc.

Also Socks5 is way better then Socks4 and is a lot easier to build,
it is Socks4 compatible and fully functional for the TCP/IP proxy stuff.

This is a great way to share one IP on a home net.

The only thing we are missing is socks support for the installation of
FreeBSD on the boot floppy.

Doug A.