Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 03:32:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/disktab and stuff

> > I have to side with rod on this...
> > dding a crucially missing item in sysinstall is ok..
> > (could be considered a bugfix)
> > rewriting it is a bad idea..
>
> I'm not re-writing it so much as "reshuffling" it so that people have
> the option of doing various things "atomically" rather than in one
> unbreakable sequence.  It will also let you skip all the
> fdisk/disklabel questions and just figure out (very conservative!)
> defaults on its own in "express" mode, helping those who were
> terminally confused by the previous "you must understand slices or
> die!" system.

I would call that a ``new feature''.  Oh, and what is the difference
between ``reshuffling'' and ``rewritting'', symantics of expression
does not change the fact the bits are going to be changed considerably
by these changes.

> > bringing in a new editor is a bad idea, (unless the old one is still there)
>
> People kinda missed the point of that one.  Rather than put vi on the
> boot floppy, where it only eats tons-o-space and is used once to toss
> the unsuspecting user into an empty /etc/exports file (that was real
> bright, that one!), I was going to put ee on there to take up far less
> space and also give the user some idea as to how to USE the damn
> editor.  vi itself hasn't gone anywhere, it's just not being
> [mis]tasked for this purpose..

I think you missed Julians point.  If you remove vi from the floppy,
and but ee in it's place, and ee is full of bugs, vi won't be there
that is of known quantity.  Thus ``new editor with no old one incase
the new one fails''.

Again, ``ee'' is a new feature.  It was imported to the tree very
recently, has already had several bug fix commits, and I just can't
buy that in 3 days it will be up to ``production release'' snuff.