Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 12:47:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@cygnus.rush.net>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: release date?

On 7 Mar 1999, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Oliver Fromme <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
> > Only very few volunteers work on the Sparc64 port at the moment in
> > their spare time.
>
> Not to step on anybody's toes, but is there anybody at all working on
> the sparc64 port? I mean, this list seems to be made up mainly of people
> who are waiting for the port to just appear.

I'm _sort of_ working on it.  I've never done work this involved with
freebsd and low level systems before, I'm not heading _anything_ i just
noticed it was dead here and asked for some pointers.

My current job requires very long hours, weekends as well, many deadlines,
etc... (*) It seems to do this work you need to be not only an expert at
assembler, but also an expert with gcc/egcs.  I can claim some level of
clue with machine lang, but hacking gcc, rebuiling it, hacking, rebuilding
quite easily exahuasts the time i have.

My advice to those waiting? wait harder, we need more waiters.

-Alfred

(*) it helps if you play a small violin at this point.

> I've noticed that this week support for mips has popped up in various
> places throughout the CURRENT source tree, probably related to the mips
> port that appears to be progressing in near secrecy. No signs of sparc
> as yet.

You know what you can do with that snideness don't you? :)