Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:56:19 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/docs/, /FAQ/, /handbook/, and others

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 10:55:06PM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> At 18 Mar 2001 14:40:42 GMT,
> nik wrote:
> > I would like the canonical URL for a document to be:
> >=20
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/docs/<lang.encoding>/{books,articles}/docume=
nt/{index,article,book}.html
> >=20
> > Basically, the result of running 'make install' in the doc/ tree.
>=20
> As one of Documentation Project team, I think your plan is freindly
> for us.  On the other hand, this is not friendly for current www
> directory hierarchy.

I'm not sure I understand you when you say "not friendly".  What would
be "friendly"?

> > Change the way we do things.  Instead of having a CVS repo that looks
> > like
> >=20
> >     www/{en,ja,es,...}
> >=20
> > have one that looks like
> >=20
> >     www/{data,cgi,share,...}
> >=20
> > The data/ directory is where all the existing content goes.
>=20
> It seems that is not good idea.  At doc/ tree, we use separated
> directory for each translation project.  We can maintain translated
> documents without breaking other translated ones.  At doc/ja* tree, we
> plan to use another toolchain to build PostScript version (I think it
> is possible on doc package build machine by using another $PREFIX as
> you said long long ago...)  And we can use language specific variable
> configuration in doc/ja*/*/Makefile.inc now.
>=20
> Using your plan on www/ tree breaks these features.

Very true.

Perhaps we could keep the separate www/{en,ja,...} trees in the repo,
but install the files as index.en.html, index.ja.html, and so on.  The
installed hierarchy does not necessarily have to mirror the CVS repo
hierarchy.

> > I haven't written any infrastructure to support what I've just described
> > yet, but I think it would certainly be an interesting exercise for
> > someone to do.  Then we could test it out, and see what problems (if
> > any) it causes, and whether or not it really is a benefit.
> >=20
> > Does anyone want to put together a prototype?
> > Could do.  Patches?
>=20
> We are talking about *design* of future www structure, not
> *implementation* of that.  Implementing before designing carefully
> will not make good result.

I fully agree.  I'm not suggesting that someone go spend the effort to
completely rearchitect the www/ tree.  But perhaps a three or four page
prototype could be put together.  This would let us quickly see the
effect of various proposals without committing us to anything.  It also
lets us see the real world effects of various designs, rather than just
theorising on them.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO--