Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:53:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Cambria, Mike" <MCambria@lucent.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Router Discovery using routed(8)

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Cambria, Mike wrote:

> >224.* is the multicast network.  It may not be set up correctly on your
> >router(s) but you still have static references in /etc/rc.conf.  Unless
> >you're using multicast you can ignore these.
>
> But I can't ignore these.  The router solicitations sent by routed never
> hit the wire.  Thus a router is never discovered.  The route table has
> just 2 entries, 127.0.0.0 and the one for the local LAN.

Odd.  The routed broadcasts should end up on the locally attached network,
if multicast fails (and I don't recall RIP using multicast).  If your
router is set up properly then it should reply there.

> When I use gated for router discovery client (with multicast) I do *not*
> see the problem I described with routed.

Routed is pretty stupid as far as routing daemons go.  Gated is miles
ahead in intelligence.  I'd suggest checking the routed manpage and/or
relevant documentation (the UNIX sysadmin red book comes to mind).