Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 12:54:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Richard Cardoe" <cardoe@comp.lancs.ac.uk>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Debugging Info

In article <8469.199808070937@tina.comp.lancs.ac.uk> you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been making some modifications to the aic7xxx source in order to
> support a limited form of target mode.

I have the early stages of target mode working under FreeBSD-CAM
right now and it allows mixed mode operation (you can behave as an
initiator and a target at the same time).  The code has not been
optimized yet to fit into the aic7880 yet, but it does work on the
aic7895 and aic7890/91/96/97.  In the next week or so, I should be
finishing up advanced message handling, error recovery, and code
optimization.  There is also a sample "peripheral driver" that
emulates a processor target device.

Getting target mode to work correctly and robustly under Linux
would not be easy.  I actually took at look at how hard it would
be for a client that originally wanted to use Linux for an embedded
application.  What has taken me a few weeks to accomplish under
FreeBSD-CAM would have taken months or re-architecture work under
Linux.

--
Justin