Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 1995 13:25:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-951026-SNAP fails on IDE CDROM

On Sun, 29 Oct 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Well, it looks like atapi.flp STILL doesn't detect my IDE CD-ROM (Mitsumi
> > FX400 on the second IDE controller).  Very strange, since it was properly
> > detected by ALL of the versions of the ATAPI drivers that I've compiled
>
> Sigh.  Can you send me the relevant kernel config lines you're using?
> I'm sure they're identical to mine, but perhaps..  Also, I assume you're
> using -stable versions of wd.c and atapi.? in your builds?
>
> 					JOrdan

Yeah, my configuration looks pretty generic, although I did comment out
"wd2" and "wd3" on the controller which has my CD-ROM drive, I don't know
if this is relevant but I'll test it today.  Attached are the relevant lines
from my kernel config.  Also, the last kernel I built, I had manually
patched in "wcd.c", "atapi.c", "atapi.h", and the patches to "wd.c" and
the appropriate major and minor device number patches.  And yes, it has
worked with both 2.0.5-RELEASE and 2.1.0-STABLE versions of the kernel.
I'll sup -stable today and see if perhaps there is some bug in the
integration of ATAPI support into the -stable kernel or maybe my
commenting out "wd2" and "wd3" is relevant.  I'll mail later today with
my findings...

[...cut]

controller      isa0
#controller     pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
#disk           fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
tape            ft0     at fdc0 drive 2

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
#disk           wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
#disk           wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

options         ATAPI   #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL