Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 2015 09:43:38 -0700
From:      Don whY <Don.whY@gmx.com>
To:        Cary <cary@SDF.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: format/newfs larger external consumer drives

On 7/9/2015 5:22 PM, Cary wrote:
> Don whY <Don.whY@gmx.com> writes:
>
>> When building a filesystem (FFS) on these 1/2/3/4TB external USB
>> drives, any suggestions?  E.g., changing block sizes?  Cut into
>> multiple slices to make fsck's job easier (as well as *recovery*)?
>>
>> Any other pointers?
>>
>> [Note that I'm not looking for "performance" -- otherwise I wouldn't
>> be going the external route -- but, rather, "bulk, semi-offline
>> storage"]
>
> Before worrying about fsck(8) I recommend you think about using
> geom(8) to put a journal on the device if your
> plan is to create a FFS filesystem.  The journal consumes some
> drive space but for any filesystem over 20-30 GB
> it won't limit your storage capacity very much.
>
> I do not have any external drives formatted with FFS, and I would be
> interested to know myself if it is at all possible to use gjournal(8)
> with an external usb drive. Someone else on the list must know
> the answer to that question.
>
> You should read the man page for gjournal(8) and note the part about
> disabling soft-updates and using the async mount(8) option.
>
> There is a short intro to the topic in the handbook.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/geom-gjournal.html

Thanks, I'll check into it.  I'm interested in developing some guidelines
for designing "appliances" where the hardware complement isn't typically
as rich as a desktop environment (e.g., would *not* include a disk
interface but *could* exploit an external disk, etc.).

Of course, anything external means the user could insert/remove it at
will -- which complicates how the system will deal with the resource.