Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 16:16:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
To:        croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us
Cc:        tobez@plab.ku.dk
Subject:   Re: Why p5- ports are good

Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us> wrote:

> Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk> writes:
> > Probably I missing something very much, but I cannot help wondering
> > why on earth FreeBSD ports collection has such an _enormous_ amount of
> > p5-thingy ports?

> The p5- ports are nice to have around because:

>      There are a few that really do need patching.

Those can happily stand where they are, can't they?
>From 97 (approximately, I did not remove duplicates) p5-thingy
ports those containing patch-xx are (I commented the nature of
some patches here):

./databases/p5-Pg/patches/patch-aa		path tweaking
./devel/p5-Curses/patches/patch-aa		default library
./devel/p5-Include/patches/patch-aa		??
./devel/p5-IniConf/patches/patch-aa		??
./devel/p5-ReadLine-Gnu/patches/patch-aa	-L, -I
./lang/p5-Tcl/patches/patch-aa			paths, libs
./net/p5-Net/patches/patch-aa			--interactivity
						++silent install
./net/p5-SNMP/patches/patch-aa			path tweaking
./net/p5-SNMP/patches/patch-ab			?? order of args?
./security/p5-Authen-Radius/patches/patch-aa	path tweaking
./security/p5-Authen-Radius/patches/patch-ab	path tweaking
./security/p5-Authen-Radius/patches/patch-ac	--autoload
./security/p5-PGP/patches/patch-aa		name tweaking
./www/p5-Apache/patches/patch-aa		??
./www/p5-CGI_Lite/patches/patch-aa		??
./x11-toolkits/p5-Gtk/patches/patch-aa		name tweaking
						? perl -> perl5
./x11-toolkits/p5-Tcl-Tk/patches/patch-aa	path tweaking,
						libs versions

>      It allows dependencies to be installed automatically.  In
>      addition to the p5- ports that depend on other p5- ports, we've
>      got p5- ports that depend on other ports, and vice versa.

This is definitely very important.  And now I cannot think of
a better way to deal with the problem, for perl modules usually
don't care about required libraries, even in cases of mere
wrappers to those libraries.  *sigh*  MakeMaker _loves_ to
say ``Note (probably harmless): library libabsolutelyimportant
not found''.  ;-)

However I cannot name the ports collection as it is to be very
intelligent when it deals with perl-related dependencies.

The striking example I can mention was when I installed a
port completely unrelated to perl (sorry, don't remember
which one) which happened to use perl in order to produce
some docs of itself.  That time I already had 5.005_02 installed
from perl distribution.  To my horror, the port happily began
to install 5.004_04;  all that was actually needed was _some_
perl5, and the port failed to recognize I already have one.
Luckily, perl was the only dependency of the port, so I asked
it to build itself without any dependency considerations...

>      Pkg_delete works.  The uninstall target that perl's MakeMaker
>      module writes doesn't.

Yep.  Does anybody know the reason _why_ uninstall target in
MakeMaker's generated makefiles is deprecated?  It looks like
MM_Unix has some reasons to believe that .packlist is likely
to be incorrect.  But why?

It really seems to be necessary to keep current bunch of
p5-thingy stuff in ports collection.  And that's a pity.
Sorry for making the waves about this, I simply think the
current way is somewhat counterproductive.  Personally, I always
use CPAN for installing perl things;  never bothered about
deinstallation, though.

--
Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
The Protein Laboratory, University of Copenhagen