Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2013 13:19:37 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav <des@des.no>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: revising sys/conf/files* dependencies

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 10:48:20AM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it> writes:
> > In all these cases, if you forget the scbus or pci in the kernel
> > config, the driver is not compiled in but you only detect it at
> > compile time. I'd rather be notified of the error at kernel link time.
>
> I would rather be notified by config(8):
>
> "iscsi_initiator requires scbus, please edit your kernel configuration
> and re-run config(8)"
>
> and perhaps a command-line option that makes it automatically resolve
> dependencies instead of complaining about them.

right now the dependency is often, not always, just a MODULE_DEPEND()
in some modules, and/or a comment in LINT (or options).

Before defining the tool we should probably try to figure out
what is the authoritative place with dependency information,
and compile documentation and auto-dependencies starting from that.

cheers
luigi