Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:31:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Matt Braithwaite <mab@alink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can I do about ``No Plug-n-Play devices were found''?

On 16 Oct 1998, Matt Braithwaite wrote:

>     DW> Well, gee, I bet it's trying to tell you something -- that
>     DW> there are no PnP devices in the system.
>
> A natural suspicion; my only reason for believing otherwise is that
> for several devices whose IRQs can be manually configured in the BIOS
> (IR port, serial port, parallel port), the BIOS's help screen and the
> system manual say that the BIOS will describe these devices as
> ``Configured by PNP OS'' if those devices are configured by Windoze
> 9[58].  Otherwise, that option does not appear in the BIOS setup.
> That's my only reason for suspecting that there should be some PNP
> devices detected.

Is there an 'auto' option for the port selection?

I haven't found a single motherboard so far that puts up the serial ports
for PnP configuration.  All of them are static or semi-static (moves the
port around if it thinks it' in use)

>     DW> Are you sure the chip is enabled in the BIOS?  If you have to
>     DW> set resources for it it's not PnP.
>
> The BIOS mentions the sound card not even once.

Hm...

>     >> pci0:4: vendor=0x125d, device=0x1978, class=multimedia (audio)
>     >> int a irq 5 [no driver assigned]
>
>     DW> Oops, game over; PCI soundcards are not supported.
>
> I had hoped that SoundBlaster compatibility implied that the chip
> would be usable by drivers that were only aware of ISA cards, but
> maybe I'm just confused.

I think that mapping is provided by the driver, not by the hardware.  The
SB compat is Windows-specific thing I bet.

>     >> OSS/FreeBSD loading, address = f4da7020
>
>     DW> You're running OSS: why are you doing this?
>
> Umm, is that bad?  I'd tried OSS (in addition to both sound drivers
> that come with FreeBSD) mostly because it was yet another thing thing
> that might work.

I guess; OSS has it's own configuration mechanism and running both could
cause odd conflicts.

Doug White