Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:17:02 +0900
From:      haro@tk.kubota.co.jp (Munehiro Matsuda)
To:        will@iki.fi
Cc:        darrylo@sr.hp.com, julian@elischer.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, haro@tk.kubota.co.jp
Subject:   Re: [sound] PCI ESS support

From: Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
Date: 17 Mar 2000 08:24:51 +0200
::Another (perhaps simpler) alternative might be to try to get it to
::work in SB emulation mode.
::
::I've managed to get it to probe as a SoundBlaster (just by adding
::pci_write_config(dev, 0x41, 0x10, 1) to the probe code in my mixer
::driver):
::
::sbc0: <Soundblaster Pro> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 on isa0
::
::However, it doesn't work (the interfaces seem to work, but the mixer
::settings don't affect anything and playback doesn't get anywhere) and
::I still haven't had time to look at it properly (and don't expect to
::any time soon).

Well, it's not that simple.
When I tried to write driver for it last year, I found that:
1) You also need to setup ASSP (Application Specific Signal Processor)
   in the chip and GPIO properly.

   Source code for BTM2E.EXE should be a help here.
   (I didn't have that source, when I was tryng to write the driver.)

2) For DMA to work, you need to support DDMA in FreeBSD.

   I have small patch for 3-stable, but will not work with -current
   due to newbus changes.

3) When Maestro2E acts as Soundblaster Pro emulation, DSP_CMD_GETVER
   returns 0x302 (or may be it was 0x303?), that are not supported in
   newpcm and luigi's pcm drivers.

   May be the current support for ver=0x301 work? I have no clue here.

If I get the time, I could try to write from scratch, again.

  Haro
           _ _    Munehiro (haro) Matsuda
 -|- /_\  |_|_|   Office of Business Planning & Development, Kubota Corp.
 /|\ |_|  |_|_|   1-3 Nihonbashi-Muromachi 3-Chome
                  Chuo-ku Tokyo 103, Japan
                  Tel: +81-3-3245-3318  Fax: +81-3-32454-3315
                  Email: haro@tk.kubota.co.jp