Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:51:21 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree 3.3.4 not on ftp.freebsd.org?

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:41:24 MST, Doug wrote:
>
> > However right after 3.2-R came out there was a flurry of -questions
> > mail about broken pkg dependencies because sysinstall wasn't properly
> > registering the X install.
>
> Is this a different problem from the broken compat22 installation?

	Yes.

> > If the port depending on the existence of /var/db/pkg/X* is actually
> > an error I'll report what I find to the -ports list.
>
> I'm pretty sure it constitutes "non-conformant" behaviour and I'd be
> happy to look at it.

	Hrrmm... come to think of it, I think that the problem actually amounted
to the ports not being able to register after installation was done. In
other words, (IIRC) after they were built and installed ports that depended
on X were unable to insert their +REQUIRED_BY entries, so this would not
constitute "broken." However, I'm a bit fuzzy on it, and I'm very tired so
I'm not sure. If I find anything odd I'll report it.

Doug