Date:      Sun, 8 May 2022 01:16:11 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing root mail messages from another LAN host via IMAP

On 5/7/22 23:25, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:

> David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> writes:

>> I would like to read mail for the root account on [a FreeBSD 12.3-R]
>> computer by using an e-mail client, IMAP, and TLS (Thunderbird) on
>> another LAN computer.

> How about ~/.forward ?
>
> #+begin_src text (example so plz ignore...)
> root@penguin:~# cat ~/.forward
> soyeomul+postmaster@gmail.com
> root@penguin:~#
> #+end_src
>
> Then you do connect to imap.gmail.com (IMAP).

Thank you for the reply.

Rather than forward(5), I will likely use aliases(5); as this use-case
involves system mail and will be permanent.

Even if gmail.com, holgerdanske.com, and other Internet MSA's/ MTA's
accept mail from an unknown host behind a residential Internet
connection (which I doubt), uploading local mail to an Internet server
and then downloading it to a local client both wastes bandwidth and
discloses the mail to external entities.  I prefer to keep my system
mail confidential and on my LAN.

David