Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:46:05 -0500
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@plexuscom.com>
To:        Thomas Gellekum <tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [comp.os.linux.announce] xpdf 0.6 - a PDF viewer for X

> If you've wanted to look at PDF files, but couldn't because Adobe
> didn't have a viewer for your system, you'll want to check out xpdf.

xpdf is a fine effort and I do use it regularly since it is more
than adequate for many jobs, lanuches quickly and uses resources
more sparingly.

But I want to point out that adobe's acrobat reader for linux works
fine on freebsd-2.2 provided you have linux emulation and have
installed linux shared libs. It is *far superior* to xpdf-0.5 and
gv-2.7.6 when it comes to image quality, letter quality (thanks to
anti-aliasing), font support, letter spacing and rendering speed.
It also has some very useful features (such as a full-screen mode,
ability to launch/talk with a web browser etc., use bookmarks and
links within the documents as well as web-links etc).

Quick instructions:

ftp
	acroread_linux_b1106.tar.gz
from
	ftp://ftp.adobe.com//pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/
untar the above file and you get a couple of tar files along with other files.
	mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/acrobat
	cd /usr/local/lib/acrobat
	tar xf ILINXR.TAR
	tar xf READ.TAR
	cp bin/acroread.sh /usr/local/bin/acroread
and edit acroread so that
    install_dir=/usr/local/lib/acrobat/Reader
and right *after* line 214 add
    ACRO_CONFIG=intellinux
    export ACRO_CONFIG
and make acroread an executable.