Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 13:42:12 -0700
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ALT-<sp> (Was: how to make 'for' understand two words as asingleargumen)

In message <89efc3b204df3107d1@[192.168.1.4]>, Michael Sinz cleopede:
>This was within the context of alt-space replacing spaces in file names.
>As things stand now, it is not even easily usable as the main tool used
>to list the files in a directory does not show it correctly.  (As far as
>the non-printables, I agree that LS is supposed to do, but is non-breaking
>space really a non-printable?)

  touch "alt<ALT-space>space" "regular<space>space"

  env LANG=fr_FR.ISO_8859-1 ls
  alt space
  regular space

  env LANG= ls
  alt?space
  regular space

I believe that most (not quite all) character sets in which 0xa0
is defined at all use it for unbreakable space.  (But it is not
defined in 7-bit ASCII, which is the FreeBSD default.)

Greg Shenaut