Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 20:50:43 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?David_Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -Current + X 4.0.1 = mouse problems

naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber) wrote:

> Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org> wrote:
>
>>       Previously I had X + moused working just fine, so I had the best
>> of both worlds. With X 4.0.1 if I use moused I get no response from the
>> mouse in X at all.
>
> Make sure you use
>
>         Option      "Protocol" "MouseSystems"
>
> Protocol "Auto" is not reliable.

Switching from "Auto" to "MouseSystems" is no panacea, however.

I've experienced the (apparently common) problem of switching from X
to console and back to X and getting an unresponsive mouse pointer in
X.  This occurs when I use protocol "Auto", or don't specify a
protocol.

Switching to "MouseSystems" protocol fixes the above problem, but it
introduces a problem: the wheels on my mice no longer work in X.
While there may be a way to get the wheel working under MouseSystems
protocol, I've not found it.

I experience this problem with both my FreeBSD workstations: one
running 5.0-CURRENT (circa end-of-August) with a Microsoft
IntelliMouse 1.1A for PS/2, and a second running 4.1-STABLE (of 19th
September) with a Mitsumi PS/2 Scroll Mouse.  Both run XFree86 4.0.1.

-drs