Date:      Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:04:11 +0100
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        "Greenshaw, Steve" <s.greenshaw@ucsm.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security Fix Confusion

At 21:27 04/10/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm wondering if anybody could enlighten me about the effect of tracking
>RELENG?

   Assuming you mean RELENG_x_y: You'll get critical security fixes for
that release, for as long as that release is supported.

>However, a '/usr/sbin/sshd -\?' shows the version of OpenSSH running as
>being OpenSSH_3.4p1.

   If it reports "sshd version OpenSSH_3.4p1 FreeBSD-20030924", you're
safe.  The "FreeBSD-20030924" means that it includes the latest fixes
(incorporated by des@ on September 24th, part of SA-03:15).

>  Scanning the box with Nessus warns of the security hole
>associated with versions of OpenSSH prior to 3.7.1p2 and warned about in
>SA-03:12
>
>So, ms question is, am I actually covered by 4.7-RELEASE-p21 and Nessus is
>giving a false positive, or am I still potentially vulnerable?

   Looks like a false positive to me.

Colin Percival