Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:54:07 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>
Cc:        phk@FreeBSD.org, davidx@viasoft.com.cn, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/25605: sysctl for enable/disable ctrl+alt+del key

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 09:17:54AM +0800, David Xu wrote:

> Linux has sysctl in procfs to dynamic enable and disable
> ctrl+alt+delete,
> it looks like:
>   echo "0" > /proc/sys/kernel/ctrl_alt_delete
> disable hot key reboot. it's simple.
> our method is not as easy as Linux, and I think tweak a
> keyboard map is dangerous, it can kick you out of console
> if you made some mistakes.

There is also the issue that if you can log in at the console then
you can always change the keymap. You can have fun by mapping the
space key to reboot.

I can think of three reasonable options:

	1) Add a sysctl which disables boot-like actions.
	2) Add a sysctl which prevents ordinary users changing the
	keymap.
	3) Change the keymap code so that ordinary users can't
	change the mapping of boot-like actions.

Any opinions on which might be best?

	David.