Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 95 9:37:54 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        dave_toth@dgc.ceo.dg.com (David Toth)
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 950210-SNAP

> 1. BIOS memory reduced by 1K to 639K causing warning message,
>    machine report 640K BIOS memory using the 2.0-RELEASE version

If you are getting a warning, this is what was in your CMOS memory.

Are you sure you aren't running an HP Vectra or AT&T WGS box?

The problem is that it is impossible to probe low memory, really,
so we have to believe the CMOS.

If your CMOS value has changes, I seriously consider testing to
see if you have an MBR virus or have rewritten your MBR.  The
typical way I check to see if it was rewritten is to compare it
with the MBR I orginally got with the machine or originally
installed, because I save that sort of thing prior to seeing
problems.  This approach may not work for you if you don't also
save things before you have a problem.

Perhaps you simply didn't notice the problem before, or perhaps
you are using an ide or user defined IDE CMOS entry where you
weren't before, or you have replaced the motherboard, etc.?

The NCFTP problem is fixed in later revs, but can be hacked by
supplying a fake password line in the older code.  There is a
description of this in the "questions" list archive on minnie;
sorry, I didn't save it... this is not something I would ever
use to do an install.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---