Date:      Sun, 14 May 1995 15:25:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "House of Debuggin'" <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        graichen@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de (Thomas Graichen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: shared IRQ for 2nd IDE controller

They say this Thomas Graichen person was kidding when he wrote:

> hello
>
> is it supported under FreeBSD to use 2 IDE controller cards at the same IRQ
> (14) and at different port adresses - i ask because i get an "not probed due
> to IRQ conflict ..." - if i try it - this way it would be very easy to add
> more than 2 IDE disks to a system (i don't want to discuss the performance of
> that) - nearly all no name ide-controller cards allow to select the secondary
> port but not to use IRQ 15 for instance

In the earlier Linux days, there was a README file that came with the
patches to enable the use of a second IDE controller which told you how
to modify your controller to use IRQ 15. It basically amounts to 5
minutes of work with an X-acto knife and a soldering iron: you scratch
through the circuit trace that leads to the edge-connector contact for
IRQ 14 and solder a wire from the open trace to the contact for IRQ 15
instead. This was the method I used, and both my controllers are working
fine on my 1.1.5.1 box.

The trouble is that controller manufacturers sometimes make your life
tough by etching off the cladding from all the contacts on the card
edge-connector that aren't actually used by the card's circuitry.
This means that there may not be a contact for IRQ 15. In this instance
you may have to do something evil like buying a blank ISA card,
plugging it into an adjacent slot and connecting its IRQ 15 contact
to the disk controller with a short length of wire.

> - Linux supports this configuration
> (two controllers at IRQ 14) and i think it should'nt be hard for a wdc guru to
> insert it also into FreeBSD - it's in the linux IDE driver (file
> linux/drivers/block/ide.c - kernel version >= 1.2.0) - it would be nice if
> someone could look at it (... or tell me that it now works with FreeBSD too -
> maybe i only don't know it) - thanks in advance - t

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with FreeBSD yet. You'd have to declare
the second controller as being in conflict with the first in your kernel
config file, for one thing. But even if you did this, it wouldn't
work: the driver would likely spit out lots of timeout errors. I'll
leave it to someone who understands wd.c to decide what driver
modifications would be needed.

-Bill

--
-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager