Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 1995 01:18:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ola Persson <smurfen@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Boyd Faulkner <faulkner@mpd.tandem.com>
Cc:        Paul Vinciguerra <pvinci@ix.netcom.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp w/ chap authentication.

Hello !

I had alot of problems using the chap authentication on our university
computers, but I eventually got it working...

First of all, you need to have a file called chap-secrets in /usr/ppp (I
think it was). Your root will tell you what thsi will look like.

Then you start kermit from root, make the connection, and start the
ppp-deamon on the remote computer. Then you shell back to your unix
prompt and type pppd /dev/ttyd0 (or whatever device # your modem is)
38400 (or the speed Kermit is set for). Then the remote computer sends a
request to your your computer asking for chap-secrets. Once that has been
received by the remote host (takes a second) the network is up and running.

Good luck!

Ola
Lulea University of Technology
Lulea, Sweden