Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 08:47:05 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        john@zyqad.co.uk (John Richards)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EIDE controller cards

John Richards stands accused of saying:
> I read somewhere, possibly the newsgroup, that FreeBSD does not support EIDE
> controller cards except when they are operating as IDE controller cards.  Is
> this true??

"yes", insofar as FreeBSD doesn't make many rash assumptions about a drive's
compliance with the newer standards....

> I have a FreeBSD machine at home, 1.0.5.1(R), running on a 486DX33 8MB RAM, 210
> & 250 MB hard disks.  This works fine and I am going to upgrade to 2.x real soon
> now - honest.  At the same time I was going to upgrade my machine - possibly to
> a DX466 and add a bit more disk.  Now if EIDE controllers are not supported I've
> got to ditch one of my disks - haven't I??  IDE controllers will only control 2
> hard disks is my understanding.

Hmm.  I'd heard rumours that someone had three disks running off an IDE
controller, but I can't recall how they were doing it 8(

> The secondary reason for this question is that I am going to recommend that our
> company buys a PC to run FreeBSD as the network/file/name/news/mail server.
> This would free a bit of load from the development machine that is curently
> doing this as well.  Now if FreeBSD doesn't support EIDE I've got to reconsider
> the spec of the machine to do this job.  I don't think the company will run to
> the cost of SCSI - although if I could get the DAT drive to run off the PC SCSI
> bus ...

IDE is, in general, a very poor choice for any sort of serious system;
you will be much better off going for a SCSI solution; and yes, being
able to hang a DAT off the box is one good reason for doing it.

> John Richards                           * email : john@zyqad.co.uk

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[