Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 05:47:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        drew@feith1.FEITH.COM
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loading from Exebyte 8205

Andrew B. Sudell writes:

> I have been trying to load the June 22 SNAP from a Exebyte 8205 tape
> and having no luck.  The system boots ok and recognizes the scsi bus
> (a NCR 810) and sees all the devices.  After loading the ncr0 driver,
> it does a reset and "waits for the bus to settle".  The tape resets
> and spends a fair amount of time (typical for a 8205) retensioning the
> tape.  [I have been trying this mostly with the tape in before booting.]
> The install program claims that there is no tape.  Upon exiting the
> install, I see the following on the screen.
>
> st0(ncr0:2,0): NOT READY asy:4,1
> st0(ncr0:2,0): Logical unit is in the process of becoming ready
>
> Booting without the tape, also fails, though then the "not ready"
> is "media not present, not ready"
>
> I suspect some silly timing issue, but frankly am stumped.

Yes, the SCSI driver really needs to wait forever when something
is "in the process of becoming ready" with occasional complaints
that it is still waiting to the console.  That doesn't help you
now though.

I haven't run the install process too much.  Is there someplace you
can stop and do something like "cp /dev/null /dev/rst0" and then
continue?

Peter

--
*** Net and mailer reconfig is going on @hda.com.  Problems to hdslip@iii.net

Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267