Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 1995 00:12:55 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        kmitch@nando.net (kmitch)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ijppp experiencing problems in -current?

kmitch@nando.net writes:

> > This is weird, but after almost a year of flawless operation, ijppp
> > has gone south on me.  It stays up for about 10-15 minutes at a time,
> > max, and then sig 10's on me..  This started occurring only recently.

> I've seen something similar, but I can't narrow it down enough to see if it is
> my internet provider or ppp.  What I am seeing is ppp will stay up fairly
> reliable until I start a web browser (Netscape or Mosaic), and then the
> connection dies.  I am running a tree from around the 18th.  I don't think
> it sig 10s though when it does this, so this may be completely different.

I noted this when running on a 14k4 link prior to replacing it with ISDN. If
the link was saturated, LQR echos were lost in sufficient quantity to cause
PPP to think the link was down. If LQR is disabled or denied, an excess of
missed LCP echos ends up causing the same thing. Things improved marginally
by dropping MTU to 576. I never noted any exceptions,

	michael