Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        pete@kesa26.Kesa.COM (Pete Delaney)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, jbryant@argus.iadfw.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, pete@rahul.net, pete@kesa26.Kesa.COM
Subject:   Re: S.O.S -2.1Stable and ASUSP54TP4

[Hummm.. just noted pete@kesa26.Kesa.COM is in the cc: of this message,
well, if you get this could you please go hunt this down and have it
fixed, 2 days of these in my syslog are driving me NUTS:
Aug 31 03:41:35 gndrsh sendmail[10715]: CAA10715: SYSERR(root): collect: read timeout on connection from [192.88.116.15], from=<pete@kesa26.Kesa.COM>
]

> Julian:
>
> > since Seagate bought all those other places,
> > and they have several design/build groups you have to be sure which group
> > the drive came from..
> >
> > I BELIEVE that drives that come from what WAS the CDC disk section
> > (did that go via Imprimis?) are ok..
>
> Nice to know the CDC drives are ok; Thanks.

CDC was a well known world class drive manufacture before the aquisition
by Seagate, they still operated as a division for a long long time.  My
understanding is that this has now been totally obsorbed into the company
and is no longer a seperate division.

> > HAWK sounds like it should come from that division..
> > they always liked bird names..
> > (e.g the 10MB HAWK drive, the 90MB Phoenix, etc...)
> > (never saw a VULTURE drive but they'd have been a good one to
> >  sell to government )
>
> Perhaps they are desiged in Phoenix and manufactored in Singapore.
> I think Quantum is moving some of it's manufactoring to Singapore.

Quantum has been manufacturing off shore for some time, and with the
aquisition of DEC's hard drive division a lot of drives are now coming
out of the DEC Mylasia plant.

> The 4GB HAWK is very similar to the 4GB Barracuda. The HAWK is made
> in Singapore and I believe the Barracuda is also. I've never thought
> of Seagate as a good manufactor, I was surprised to hear that the
> 4GB Barracuda was a good drive. After I bought a 4GB HAWK the guys
> at Auspex thought it was a better choice that the 4GB Micropolus.
> The only difference that I know of between the two drives is that
> the 4GB Barracuda has a slightly faster access time; 9ms as I recall.

Hawk is a 5400RPM class drive, Barracuda is a 7200RPM class drive. BIG
difference!

> Up to now I've had no problems with the 4GB Hawk, Time will tell.
> It runs cool enough that you don't even need a fan in the SPARCStation-1
> (or -2) pizza box.

The ``runs cool'' is due to the fact that it is not a 7200RPM screamer :-),
though it has data transfer rates almost as good as them.