Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 23:46:14 +0200
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Danovitsch.dnsq.org>
To:        inspector.us@omicnet.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DMA

On Thursday 30 May 2002 00:08, you wrote:
> I am using round, 80-wire, ATA-100 IDE cables.  FreeBSD 4.5 release.
> dmesg shows
> ata0    #ATA 33 (no ATA 66 compliant cable), so both drives on that channel
> default to PIO mode.  Do I need to use different cables?  I was under the
> impression that default was DMA if possible.

The IDE bus uses the highest speed all devices can handle. So if you connect
a UDMA100 harddisk with a UDMA33 CDROM to the same cable, the CDROM will
force the bus to UDMA33.
Connecting all your "slow" devices to the secondary controller should fix the
problem (on the primary controller :).

--
Control the lights in my room:
http://www.Danovitsch.dnsq.org/webcam