Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 1995 08:02:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        obrien@antares.aero.org (Mike O'Brien)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: "Text file busy" with program not running anymore?

As Mike O'Brien wrote:

> David Greenman sez:
> > Actually, now that I think about
> > it, the thing to do is to shut off the VTEXT flag when the object reference
> > count goes to 0...I thought we already did that...but we don't. This should
> > completely solve the problem. I'll add it to my whiteboard.
>
> I realize I'm coming late to the table with this (I've been on vacation) but
> I should point out that this persistant caching was a deliberate choice on
> the part of the Berkeley design team.  The notion was that it would
> greatly speed up the execution of common, short-lived binaries if their
> texts were gradually cached by the system.

I don't think it's the point to not cache them anymore, it's only the
point to cease marking them as ``text file busy'' when there's
actually no longer an active reference for it.  No other system that i
know of does it that way.  (Well, recent SysV's seem to even don't
have VTEXT any longer, at least it's very easy to get a core dump
there when developing new stuff and being not aware that someone is
still running the program.)

It's my understanding that the pages associated with the previously
running image are being reclaimed immediately when someone starts the
program again.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/