Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:56:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner)
Cc:        jdl@chromatic.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS question

Bill Fenner writes:

> >Is there a way to reliably claim to do DNS for anything less than
> >a full Class-C subnet?

> The best way to do this is to have the person who is primary for
> 166.1.199.in-addr.arpa insert records like:

> jdl	IN	NS	jdl.com.
> 200	IN	CNAME	200.jdl
> 201	IN	CNAME	201.jdl
> 202	IN	CNAME	202.jdl
> 207	IN	CNAME	207.jdl

> And then you can build a database for jdl.166.1.199.in-addr.arpa and you can
> be authoritative.

> I am sure that this is documented somewhere but can't figure out where.  The
> most recent time I heard it described was at the NANOG meeting a month or so
> ago, and the person describing it said that people have been doing this for
> years.

As follows ..

Network Working Group                                     Havard Eidnes
INTERNET-DRAFT                                             SINTEF RUNIT
draft-degroot-classless-inaddr-00.txt                Geert Jan de Groot
                                                               RIPE NCC

                                                               May 1995

                   Classless in-addr.arpa delegation

1. Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as ``work in progress.''

   To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
   ``1id-abstracts.txt'' listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net (Europe),
   munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.net (US East Coast), or
   ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

   Should this draft end up being published as an RFC, then:
   This memo provides information for the Internet community.  This memo
   does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of
   this memo is unlimited.

2. Introduction

   This document describes a way to do in-addr.arpa delegation on non-
   octet boundaries.  The proposed method should thus remove one of the
   objections to do subnetting on non-octet boundaries but perhaps more
   significantly, make it possible to assign IP address space in smaller
   chunks than 24-bit prefixes without losing the ability to delegate
   authority for the corresponding in-addr.arpa mappings.  The proposed
   method is fully compatible with the original DNS lookup mechanisms
   specified in [1], i.e. there is no need to modify the lookup
   algorithm used, and there should be no need to modify any software
   which does DNS lookups either.

Eidnes, de Groot             Expires 951124                     [Page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT     Classless in-addr.arpa delegation            May 1995

3. Motivation

   With the proliferation of classless routing technology, it has become
   feasible to assign address space on non-octet boundaries.  In case of
   a Very Small Organization with only a few hosts, assigning a full
   24-bit prefix (what has traditionally been referred to as a ``class C
   network number'') often leads to inefficient address space
   utilization.

   One of the problems encountered when assigning a longer prefix (less
   address space) is that it seems impossible for such an organization
   to maintain its own reverse (``in-addr.arpa'') zone autonomously.  If
   the reverse delegation problem is solved, perhaps the most important
   objection to assignment of longer prefixes to unrelated organizations
   can be removed.

   Let us assume we have assigned the address spaces to three different
   parties as follows:

           192.0.2.0/25   to organization A
           192.0.2.128/26 to organization B
           192.0.2.192/26 to organization C

   In the classical approach, this would lead to a single zone like
   this:

   $ORIGIN 2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   ;
   1               PTR     host1.A.domain.
   2               PTR     host2.A.domain.
   3               PTR     host3.A.domain.
   ;
   129             PTR     host1.B.domain.
   130             PTR     host2.B.domain.
   131             PTR     host3.B.domain.
   ;
   193             PTR     host1.C.domain.
   194             PTR     host2.C.domain.
   195             PTR     host3.C.domain.

   The administration of this zone is problematic.  Authority for this
   zone can only be delegated once, and this usually translates into
   ``this zone can only be administrated by one organization.''  The
   other organizations with address space which corresponds to entries
   in this zone would thus have to depend on another organization for
   their address to name translation.  With the proposed method, this
   potential problem can be avoided.

Eidnes, de Groot             Expires 951124                     [Page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT     Classless in-addr.arpa delegation            May 1995

4. Classless in-addr.arpa domain

   Since a single zone can only be delegated once we need more points to
   do delegation on to solve the problem above.  These extra points of
   delegation can be introduced by extending the in-addr.arpa tree
   downwards, e.g. by using the first address in the corresponding
   address space as the first component in the name for the zones.  For
   the problem described in the motivation section, the corresponding 4
   zone files would look something like this (here shown with network
   masks and network names in the form specified in [2] as well):

   $ORIGIN 2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   @       IN      SOA     my-ns.my.domain. hostmaster.my.domain. ( ... )
   ;...
   0               NS      ns.A.domain.
   0               NS      some.other.name.server.
   ;
   128             NS      ns.B.domain.
   128             NS      some.other.name.server.too.
   ;
   192             NS      ns.C.domain
   192             NS      some.other.third.name.server.
   ;
   1               CNAME   1.0.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   2               CNAME   2.0.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   3               CNAME   3.0.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   ;
   129             CNAME   129.128.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   130             CNAME   130.128.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   131             CNAME   131.128.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   ;
   193             CNAME   193.192.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   194             CNAME   194.192.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   195             CNAME   195.192.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.

   $ORIGIN 0.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   @       IN      SOA     ns.A.domain. hostmaster.A.domain. ( ... )
   @               NS      ns.A.domain.
   @               NS      some.other.name.server.
   @               PTR     networkname.A.domain.
   @               A       255.255.255.128
   ;
   1               PTR     host1.A.domain.
   2               PTR     host2.A.domain.
   3               PTR     host3.A.domain.

Eidnes, de Groot             Expires 951124                     [Page 3]

INTERNET-DRAFT     Classless in-addr.arpa delegation            May 1995

   $ORIGIN 128.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   @       IN      SOA     ns.B.domain. hostmaster.B.domain. ( ... )
   @               NS      ns.B.domain.
   @               NS      some.other.name.server.too.
   @               PTR     networkname.B.domain.
   @               A       255.255.255.192
   ;
   129             PTR     host1.B.domain.
   130             PTR     host2.B.domain.
   131             PTR     host3.B.domain.

   $ORIGIN 192.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
   @       IN      SOA     ns.C.domain. hostmaster.C.domain. ( ... )
   @               NS      ns.C.domain
   @               NS      some.other.third.name.server.
   @               PTR     networkname.C.domain.
   @               A       255.255.255.192
   ;
   193             PTR     host1.C.domain.
   194             PTR     host2.C.domain.
   195             PTR     host3.C.domain.

   An obvious alternative to using the first address in the
   corresponding address space to name the new zones is simply to use
   some other (non-numeric) name.  It is of course also possible to
   point to an entirely different part of the DNS tree (outside of the
   in-addr.arpa tree).

   This approach makes it necessary to install approximately 256 CNAME
   records in the parent zone more or less permanently for each size-256
   chunk split up this way.  Some people might view this as ugly; we
   will not argue that particular point.  It is however quite easy to
   automatically generate the CNAME resource records in the parent zone
   once and for all, if the way the address space is partitioned is
   known.

   The advantage of this approach over the other proposed approaches for
   dealing with this problem is that there should be no need to modify
   any already-deployed software.  In particular, the lookup mechanism
   in the DNS does not have to be modified to accommodate this splitting
   of the responsibility for the IPv4 address to name translation on
   ``non-dot'' boundaries.  This technique has been in use for several
   years in at least one installation, apparently with no ill effects.

Eidnes, de Groot             Expires 951124                     [Page 4]

INTERNET-DRAFT     Classless in-addr.arpa delegation            May 1995

5. References

   [1]  P. Mockapetris, ``Domain Names - Concepts and Facilities'',
        RFC1034, ISI, November 1987.

   [2]  P. Mockapetris, ``DNS Encoding of Network Names and Other
        Types'', RFC1101, ISI, April 1989.

6. Security Considerations

   Security considerations are not discussed in this memo.

7. Conclusion

   The suggested scheme gives more flexibility in delegating authority
   in the in-addr.arpa domain, thus making it possible to assign address
   space more efficiently without losing the ability to delegate the DNS
   authority over the corresponding address to name mappings.

8. Acknowledgments

   Glen A. Herrmannsfeldt <gah@cco.caltech.edu> described this trick on
   comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains some time ago.  Alan Barrett
   <barrett@lucy.ee.und.ac.za>, Sam Wilson <Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk>, and
   Paul Vixie <vixie@vix.com> provided valuable comments on the
   newsgroup.

   We would like to thank Eric Wassenaar of NIKHEF <e07@nikhef.nl>,
   David Kessens <David.Kessens@ripe.net>, Daniel Karrenberg
   <Daniel.Karrenberg@ripe.net>, Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com>, and Glen A.
   Herrmannsfeldt <gah@cco.caltech.edu> for their review and
   constructive comments.

Eidnes, de Groot             Expires 951124                     [Page 5]

INTERNET-DRAFT     Classless in-addr.arpa delegation            May 1995

9. Author's Addresses

   Havard Eidnes
   SINTEF RUNIT
   N-7034 Trondheim
   Norway

   Phone: +73 59 44 68
   Fax: +73 59 17 00

   Email: Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no

   Geert Jan de Groot
   RIPE Network Coordination Centre
   Kruislaan 409
   1098 SJ Amsterdam, the Netherlands

   Phone: +31 20 592 5065
   Fax: +31 20 592 5090

   Email: GeertJan.deGroot@ripe.net

Eidnes, de Groot             Expires 951124                     [Page 6]