Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:25:39 -0600 (CST)
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Users

> So, type `adduser' and answer the questions to make an account `zoogy'
> or `chad' or whatever you want to call it for yourself.  Then log out
> of root and log back in with your personal account.
>
> And have fun!
>
> If you need to do system administration again, just log in as `zoogy'
> or `chad' or whatever and then type the `su' command to become root.

only if you first edit /etc/group and add that username to the wheel group :)

> When FreeBSD boots, you'll see the `boot:' prompt.  If you just wait,
> it'll automatically boot.  So, very quickly, type `-s' and press
> return, which means `boot into single user mode.'
>
> Single user mode is a special maintenance mode for fixing system
> problems.  And forgetting the root password is definitely a system
> problem.
>
> You'll be aksed for a shell to use.  Just press return and you get the
> Bourne shell.  This shell runs as root.
>
> --
> Sean Kelly
> NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

unless you have the following line in your /etc/ttys file :)

console	none				unknown	off insecure

which in turn makes sure that the person who was shoulder surfing you earlier
and didn't get the root password, can't just `rm -rf /` when you get a cup of
coffee...

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or