Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 13:55:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com (Brett Glass)
Cc:        scott@statsci.com, jacs@gnome.co.uk, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Micropolis 1991 AV 9GB Drive

It seems that Brett Glass said:
> AFAIK, FreeBSD doesn't support striping or concurrent I/O on multiple
> disks. I could imagine writing a striping driver for it, though.

Just have a look at ccd:

Can one of you kernel hackers take a look at the ccd code before we
import it into the -current tree?  The latest version is in:

  ftp://stampede.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/ccd/ccd-960325.tar.gz

The ccd home page is at:

  http://stampede.cs.berkeley.edu/ccd/

I think the tarfile (including a few patches) can go into the tree
almost as it is except the ccd manual (is sys/dev/ccd/ccd.4, should
be in share/man/man4?).

We've accumulated a few revisions here, starting from NetBSD-1.1R, so
I'll talk to Peter before importing it (probably will ask him to
repository copy it in).

Thanks
Satoshi

Here is part of the README:

(3) What it does

In case you don't know what it is, ccd is a disk array driver.  You
can combine several disk partitions into one "virtual disk".  Then you
can partition it or use the whole thing or add some pepper and salt or
whatever you want.

(4) What it does not

There is no parity support yet.  That's why its name doesn't resemble
RAID in any form.  However, there is mirroring available starting
from the Jan/31 version.

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #11: Tue Apr  9 20:14:48 MET DST 1996